Tis’ the season of new beginnings. Here at RCLL, we are excitedly looking forward to welcome you back to a newly modernized facility of the Victor Miceli Law Library in downtown Riverside. If you are following us online, you may have seen on our website, photos chronicling the library’s physical transformation. Here are some user experience enhancements that you can expect:
- New Information services desk – As soon as you enter the library, you will see a welcoming and open layout of the new main reading room. The Information Services Desk is located directly across from the entrance. This allows visitors and regular patrons to know instantly where to go to ask questions about our services and find friendly and knowledgeable staff to assist them with their legal research needs.
- New Copier center – Immediately to the left, facing the Information Services Desk, is a Copier Center. This new location separates patrons who are making or printing out copies and purchasing copy cards from those who are conducting their research using the computers and books, thereby maintaining a quiet space for them to work and study.
- New California reading room – The California collection of primary and secondary sources of law are now located in the main reading room in low-stack bookshelves. Library users are provided with convenient and functional shelf spaces for frequently used California practice guides, form books, finding aids, and subject-specific treatises.
- New Patron computer workstations – The public access computers are on adjustable tables that enable users to sit or stand while working.
- New Multi-purpose activity and learning center – At the center of the new California reading room is a multi-function event space with modular tables, whiteboards, and flexible seating that can accommodate large classes, workshops, and special event gatherings.
- New quiet and comfortable seating area – Library users, whether they prefer to work or study alone or in groups, will find soft and comfortable seats with tablet arm around the new California reading room. The movable seating allows for individual and/or collaborative quiet work/study space.
- New Phone booths – Mobile phone users will be able to take their calls privately inside one of the two phone booths in the library without disturbing other library users.
- New Security guard station – A dedicated station for a security guard available during business hours is a welcome addition to the library’s security camera and PA system.
The library building’s HVAC and electrical systems upgrades, along with a modernized interior design and functionality of the new main reading room, are meant to achieve the high-quality user experience that you have entrusted us to deliver.
When is the Victor Miceli Law Library going to reopen? The good news is the new main reading room furniture have arrived and the setting up will be complete by the end of this week. However, we are still waiting for the new copiers to arrive. The installation of the existing computers and other library equipment will begin next week. Behind the scenes, our staff in Riverside are continuing their work on the inventory and reorganization of the California and Federal law print collection and unpacking boxed-up files while continuing to respond to patrons’ research queries and service requests by phone and online. Barring further delays caused by supply chain issues or pandemic-related circumstances, we are on track to reopen late Spring/early Summer.
As always, we thank you so much for your patience and understanding. We cannot wait to open our doors and welcome you back!
Be safe and stay informed.